Warehouse-LOCATION 1
The first location we looked into was an abandoned warehouse on Troutbeck Road, Sheffield S7 2Q. The sound editor had already used this location for a previous smaller project, so we decided to go check it out. We all really liked the location and thought it would fit perfectly with our film. These are some of the images we took.
However because we couldn't control external factors such as weather and lighting, continuity may be a problem. We collectively decided that the pros outweighed the cons and I try to get filming permission.
Noah found this website online which had numbers to the agent of the owner- http://www.husbandandbrown.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/Troutbeck-Development-Brochure-LO-RES.pdf
I finally got through to the owner, and this is what I said.
"Hello is this Kevin Husband the agent for the former Jacob’s Manufacturing Ltd building.
Hi my name Is Alex Potter and I’m a Film student at Sheffield Hallam University. I am making a short none profitable film and was wondering if we could have permission to use this building as a film location?
The shoot would take place on Monday the 7th and Tuesday the 8th of April 2014, so this Monday and Tuesday, for about 5-6 hours each day, from 10am-4pm. I am the producer in charge of a very small production team of 8 including 3 actors.
And I would personally take responsibility for safety of everyone involved. All filming would happen inside the building and the real identity and location of the building will not be reviled in our film.
If you have an email address I could send you more information."
He basically said that people have tried to get permission before and because of health and safety he just couldn't let us. I tried to explain that I would take all responsibility and that it was a small crew, but there was nothing he could do.
0191 232 8861
www.husbandandbrown.com
So we had to look elsewhere.
Warehouse-LOCATION 2
The second location we found was on a website called 28 Days Later which is basically a blog site for casual photographers recommending nice locations. We found one that would be perfect for our film.
http://www.28dayslater.co.uk/forums/industrial-sites/88672-steel-factory-march-2014-sheffield-loxley-pic-heavy.html
However I couldn't find any website, email address or number for the location so couldn't get the permission.
So we had to look elsewhere.
Warehouse-LOCATION 3
The third location that we looked into was Op Tactical Uk (The Stan) recommended by Dom, who is one of the tutors. I rang them up and they were available Monday-Friday which was perfect, so I went and had a look. It wasn't the warehouse style that I originally imagined, it was more an empty run down office, but still gave the eerie atmosphere that we were looking for.
http://www.op-tac.co.uk/index.php?option=com_booking&Itemid=237&view=subject&id=3:stan%20booking
I rang them up and got permission, but even though I pleaded that we were students working on a budget of 0, they wouldn't budge from £150 a day, which would mean £300 for the planned 2 day shoot. We agreed we couldn't afford this, but decided that as a last resort we could use it for a one day shoot and if they still hadn't booked anyone, they would maybe budge to £100.
So we looked elsewhere.
Warehouse-LOCATION 4.
Lee, another tutor recommended a company called CADS, who rent artistic rooms to theatre companies and film and photograph enthusiasts.
http://www.cads-online.co.uk/#/film-photo-shoots/4560211858
I did a bit of research online and liked what I saw from the pictures so organised a tour of the rooms. These are some of the pictures I took of the room that I thought fit our film the best. There was also another room which I thought could work which was more of a basement than a warehouse, but the natural light wasn't as good. Both rooms had electricity so we could use lights and both had roofs unlike location 1 & 2 so things like time in the day and weather could be controlled.
However on the intended filming dates of Tuesday and Wednesday were already booked up by a performance group. At this stage we were just going to go with the second dark basement room as it was the only days the actors could do and we could make the location work. However due to complications with the actors we ended up moving the filming dates to Thursday and Friday, so we were able to have the better room.
The owner was very easy going and even though student prices were normally £50 per day, I managed to haggle him down to £50 for both days as we would only need the location on the second day for a short amount of time and not the full day.
Florist-LOCATION 1
The florist was allot easier than the warehouse as we would only be filming for an hour or two apposed to a day or two. The first florist we looked at was Orchis Floral Design-http://www.orchisfloraldesign.com/ , again recommended by Lee. However as we were on the way, we bumped into another florist on the high street which we liked the look of and thought we may as well ask and they were more than willing. So we decided to go with Plantology Floral Creations Florist. http://plantologyflorist.co.uk/
70 Division St, Sheffield, South Yorkshire S1 4GF
He basically said that people have tried to get permission before and because of health and safety he just couldn't let us. I tried to explain that I would take all responsibility and that it was a small crew, but there was nothing he could do.
0191 232 8861
www.husbandandbrown.com
So we had to look elsewhere.
Warehouse-LOCATION 2
The second location we found was on a website called 28 Days Later which is basically a blog site for casual photographers recommending nice locations. We found one that would be perfect for our film.
http://www.28dayslater.co.uk/forums/industrial-sites/88672-steel-factory-march-2014-sheffield-loxley-pic-heavy.html
However I couldn't find any website, email address or number for the location so couldn't get the permission.
So we had to look elsewhere.
Warehouse-LOCATION 3
The third location that we looked into was Op Tactical Uk (The Stan) recommended by Dom, who is one of the tutors. I rang them up and they were available Monday-Friday which was perfect, so I went and had a look. It wasn't the warehouse style that I originally imagined, it was more an empty run down office, but still gave the eerie atmosphere that we were looking for.
http://www.op-tac.co.uk/index.php?option=com_booking&Itemid=237&view=subject&id=3:stan%20booking
I rang them up and got permission, but even though I pleaded that we were students working on a budget of 0, they wouldn't budge from £150 a day, which would mean £300 for the planned 2 day shoot. We agreed we couldn't afford this, but decided that as a last resort we could use it for a one day shoot and if they still hadn't booked anyone, they would maybe budge to £100.
So we looked elsewhere.
Warehouse-LOCATION 4.
Lee, another tutor recommended a company called CADS, who rent artistic rooms to theatre companies and film and photograph enthusiasts.
http://www.cads-online.co.uk/#/film-photo-shoots/4560211858
I did a bit of research online and liked what I saw from the pictures so organised a tour of the rooms. These are some of the pictures I took of the room that I thought fit our film the best. There was also another room which I thought could work which was more of a basement than a warehouse, but the natural light wasn't as good. Both rooms had electricity so we could use lights and both had roofs unlike location 1 & 2 so things like time in the day and weather could be controlled.
However on the intended filming dates of Tuesday and Wednesday were already booked up by a performance group. At this stage we were just going to go with the second dark basement room as it was the only days the actors could do and we could make the location work. However due to complications with the actors we ended up moving the filming dates to Thursday and Friday, so we were able to have the better room.
The owner was very easy going and even though student prices were normally £50 per day, I managed to haggle him down to £50 for both days as we would only need the location on the second day for a short amount of time and not the full day.
Florist-LOCATION 1
The florist was allot easier than the warehouse as we would only be filming for an hour or two apposed to a day or two. The first florist we looked at was Orchis Floral Design-http://www.orchisfloraldesign.com/ , again recommended by Lee. However as we were on the way, we bumped into another florist on the high street which we liked the look of and thought we may as well ask and they were more than willing. So we decided to go with Plantology Floral Creations Florist. http://plantologyflorist.co.uk/
70 Division St, Sheffield, South Yorkshire S1 4GF



.jpg)






No comments:
Post a Comment